Malware can be defined as MALicious softWARE. Malware is an extended term that includes viruses, Trojans, worms etc. to name a few. These may often enter your system by downloading untrusted third-party software.
BASIC TYPES OF MALWARE:
Few malware types are
1. Adware – These malware install unwanted software and extensions in your browser redirecting your computer to an advertisement ever so often. Adware often are installed when you install free/trial versions of software.
2. Ransomware – These malware lock your system, often by encrypting your hard disk and asking you to pay an amount of money like 50$ or 100$ to get the unlock key. Ransomware is not that common and often are difficult to remove.
3. Spyware – Spyware is another type of malware that spies on what you do in your system, accesses your personal documents and views feed from your webcam if you have one.
4. Viruses – Viruses are a type of malware that are capable of copying itself into different programs and get self executed. They are being used to spy, steal files, slow down computers and install other malware.
These are but a few types of the large types of malware.
5. rootkits – These are bundled up malware usually used to make your system download additional malware to your system without your knowledge. Often impossible to remove most often will result in purchase of a new harddisk for your computer after throwing the old one away.
How to protect your system from these?
Always use a good antivirus and a good firewall. More than these, user vigilance is extremely important. Do not ever download free applications unless they are from trusted developers and sites.
AS THEY SAY, IF SOMETHING LOOKS TOO GOOD, IT IS NOT GOOD.